"I'm tired of waiting. I'm tired of thinking.
I want to turn loose my hold on everything,
and go sailing down, down,
just like one of those poor, tired leaves."

- O. Henry

Monday, November 8, 2010

Perceptions

"Find yourself someone who sees you like the way you do now, baby." - twothirtyeight

Sometimes I wonder who I am in relation to the way others see me. Two comments in particular have left me scratching my head, realizing that other people do not see me the way I see myself.

the first:

1) My future brother-in-law once said to me, "Leah, you're in to sci-fi..." This was a lead in to some sort of "...so have you seen this movie?" statement. But the confidence with which it was said had me wondering....Am I in to Sci-Fi? Am I SO in to Sci-Fi that someone would just throw that out and assume it was a fact? The way it was stated was like..."Leah, you're a female..." As if it was a fact of who I am.

I like the X-Men movies. I watched a lot of X-Files in high school (btw - what's with all the X's?). I've read Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (that's really more fantasy, but whatever). But, I would never consider myself as someone who is in to Sci-Fi. I don't read sci-fi books, I don't read comic books, I don't watch Star Trek, I don't go to conventions. I have never thought of myself as a Sci-Fi fan. However, maybe my definition of a "sci-fi person" and his definition of a "sci-fi person" are two totally different things. Obviously I am in to sci-fi enough to meet his qualifications of what defines someone as "sci-fi." Weird. Michael and I laugh about it quite a bit - how in to Sci-Fi I am.

the second:

2) Members of my famliy: "Leah, you're not a dog person." What? Who is not a dog person? I feel like this is pretty much like calling someone a cold-hearted bitch. Everyone loves dogs. I love dogs. I think they are smart, cute, and sweet. I smile when I see them. I often wish I had one. To me, that makes me a "dog person."

However, I don't currently own a dog, and if I did - I don't believe in putting clothes on a dog, I wouldn't sleep in the bed with a dog, or let the dogs get on the furniture. I love dogs, but I don't think they are the same as people, and it's not my preference to try to humanize them with clothes or a place in the family bed. Does this make me "not a dog person"? What do people mean when they say that? That I'm not loving? Not responsible enough to have a pet? In fact, one of the reasons I don't have a dog now is I work strange hours and I like to travel. Which means I recognize that I don't have the time and energy needed to properly care for a dog. I recognize this limitation in myself and therefore have not gotten a pet. When my life becomes more stable, I'd love to get a dog. But right now, my way of doing right by the dogs of the world is not to have one. So, I DO love dogs and I AM a dog person.

So there.

Maybe I will find more people who see me the way I see myself. Maybe I'm just a sci-fi loving, dog-hating freak. Or maybe the truth lies somewhere in between.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post!

    I have these moments all the time where I realize that others do not see me the way I see me or the way I think I truly am.

    That sci-fi things is hilarious! I would never think of you as a sci-fi person so maybe your definition and my definition are similar?

    I don't think you have to let the dog on the couch to be a dog person and sadly, I don't think everyone is a dog person, but you are :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is prob the best blog post I've read in ages. It's so funny how people see things in you that maybe you dont see or maybe aren't even there.
    I think that since you realize your limitations and time constraints, in regards to a pet, that makes you more of a dog person than most people. Because you dont want to get a dog and be a bad dog owner. Some people just chain them up in the yard and forget they are there... those people are NOT dog people.
    Love the blog. Hope to see more soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!

    I'm glad we're all dog people around here! :)

    ReplyDelete