Here are some of my thoughts in honor of the Oscars tonight! I hope you have fun reading this and watching the awards show!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Best Picture
127 Hours - Let me start by saying that I thought this was a good film with a great performance by James Franco. However, it was excruciating to watch for me. The suspense, the claustrophobia, the blood. It just wasn't for me. If this wasn't based on true events, I'd say this was the most ridiculous story I've ever heard about or seen. A guy goes mountain climbing (actually, he's climbing down into a canyon to hike) and a huge ass rock falls on his arm - trapping him for 5 days. Finally, he saws his own arm off with a dull knife, finishes his canyon hike, repels down a mountain, and then walks what seems to be miles for help. What the hell?! It's so absurd. Goes to show you that truth really is stranger than fiction. And, this movie reinforced by belief that in "man vs. nature" situations, nature always wins. In this case, nature won an arm. The guy still goes hiking and climbing with just his one arm. I say good for him. I'm pretty sure the worst thing that could ever happen to him already has happened. I wouldn't imagine he would have too much to fear after the 127 hours ordeal. Overall, I am proud of myself for making it through this whole movie, but I don't plan to see it again. I can say that James Franco must be a talented guy to carry a whole movie on his own with out being able to change locations or interact with other characters. On a random note, there was an annoying amount of product placement in this movie (Gatorade, Mountain Dew, different beers). To sum up - go see 127 hours if you think you can handle it.
Black Swan - My experience of this movie was much the same as 127 hours. Good movie, great performance by Natalie Portman, very uncomfortable to watch. It was the exact kind of grossness that freaks me out the most - breaking fingernails, peeling back skin, lots of feet. I just didn't enjoy it. However, I did like that this movie had me pondering it and reacting to it for days afterwards. Since it's a movie where "what actually happened" is up to the interpretation of the viewer, I found myself having a good time asking questions and discussing various theories with friends who had also seen Black Swan. For that, I say, "Bravo!"
The Fighter - This was such a beautiful movie. It gets my vote for Best Picture, no matter how much of a long shot that may be. Christian Bale was mesmerizing. There is no other word for it. Melissa Leo and Amy Adams offered significant contributions to the ensemble. And Mark Wahlberg actually surprised me. It was really interesting to watch him play such an understated character in The Fighter. His character was timid; He had to both fade to the background and be the star of the movie at the same time. I was impressed. I can't say enough about how much I loved The Fighter. It's a movie about some of the central tensions of life: How the people who know you the best aren't necessarily the people who know how to love you the best; About the struggle to maintain your roots yet rise above your circumstances; Needing someone to guide you to find your own way in life; Having enough humility to endure failure and enough ego to be a champion. I loved it all. For me, The Fighter was the most moving film of 2010. Please do yourself a favor and go see it.
Inception - Inception is the best of both worlds -a high-budget blockbuster that also makes you think. Leonardo DiCaprio, as always, was formidable. An enjoyable movie that leaves a good bit up to interpretation. When does Christopher Nolan ever disappoint?
The Kids Are Alright - The premise of this movie seemed kind of quirky and comical (teen children of a lesbian couple seek out and connect with their sperm donor dad), but it was actually kind of a downer to watch. Annette Benning gave a solid performance, but in my opinion, none of the characters in this movie were actually alright.
The King's Speech - Oh, Colin Firth. You're such a treasure of the motherland. I quite enjoyed this inspirational story about coming in to one's own and overcoming obstacles. Geoffrey Rush was a delight as well. I was thrilled/floored when they started singing "Way down upon the Suwanee River," which is the state song of Florida, where I live!
The Social Network - Honestly, I thought it was good, but to say it is great is going a little too far for me. Yes, the history of Facebook is interesting. Yes, it's ironic that someone so socially awkward would create such a powerful social network. Yes, Jesse Eisenberg did a good job, and Justin Timberlake was surprisingly respectable. But, for me, there was no "take away" from this movie. Not that I have to learn a life lesson from every movie. Sometimes I just want a fun movie-going experience. But, this film was neither. It didn't impact me or move me, and it was too full of conflict and drama to be fun.
Toy Story 3 - The only movie nominated for Best Picture that I haven't seen. It's on my kitchen counter, tucked safely in its Netflix envelope. I'm sure it's great, but so many people have told me how they've cried at it. I even read an interview with Mark Wahlberg where he said he cried watching Toy Story 3. I just can't do it. My life is stressful and complex enough right now without having to cry during an animated movie. I'm just not up for it emotionally.
True Grit - It was such a joy and a pleasure to watch this movie. Hailee Steinfeld was amazing! The girl has got moxy!! I got Michael the book for Valentine's day, and he's reading it now. I want to read it once he is done. Then, we should both watch the original. I greatly enjoyed the Coen brothers version of it.
Winter's Bone - NEVER go to the Ozarks! Never! (It wasn't bad at all, but I wouldn't nominate this for anything. But, that's just my personal opinion.) I know people are raving over Jennifer Lawrence, but i just couldn't get in to her. I think a lot of it had to do with seeing True Grit first. My love quota for "tough beyond measure, sassy teen girl" had already been met by Hailee Steinfeld!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the individual awards:
* indicates I think he/she will win
@ indicates I think he/she should win
Best Actor
Javier Bardem
Jeff Bridges
Jesse Eisenberg
Colin Firth - * @
James Franco
Best Actress
Annette Benning
Nicole Kidman
Jennifer Lawrence
Natalie Portman - * @
Michelle Williams
Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale - * @
John Hawkes
Jeremy Renner
Mark Ruffalo
Geoffrey Rush
Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams
Helena Bonham Carter
Melissa Leo - *
Hailee Steinfeld - @
Jacki Weaver
Oh wow. I don't do movies - can't sit in an overheated environment long enough, but some of your writing about some of them makes me yearn. Thanks
ReplyDeleteMaybe once they are out on DVD you can rent them and enjoy them from home! :)
ReplyDeleteMy top three recommendations are:
1. The Fighter
2. True Grit
3. The King's Speech
Thank you for all your posts. I have awarded you a stylish blogger award which you can check out at http://myjustsostory.blogspot.com/2011/03/stylish-blogger-award.html
ReplyDeleteI heard that The King's Speech went down so well in my cynical city that the audience stood and applauded at the end. Almost unheard of.