"I'm tired of waiting. I'm tired of thinking.
I want to turn loose my hold on everything,
and go sailing down, down,
just like one of those poor, tired leaves."

- O. Henry

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Change

So much is changing lately, but the changes are good! Here are a few updates.

1. I"m married now! Since we've been together over 3 years, the married part really doesn't feel too different, most of the time. However, every once in a while I have moments where I'm like, "wow, I'm married!" It's so weird and cool at the same time. Using the words "wife" and "husband" is fun, as is getting used to signing my new name. I've got my name changed over at social security, the DMV, with voter registration, and at the bank. I've filled out the paperwork to have my name changed on my paychecks and forms at work, but I haven't changed over my email address/logins yet. I also still need to contact all the places I have bills (utility, electric, car payment, etc) and give them my new name. And school! I need to change my name with FSU. Apparently, becoming a new person is a long process. (Wow, there is some truth packed in that statement!) :)

2. I'm learning French. I studied Spanish sporadically in high school and college and thought my goal was to be fluent in Spanish. But, when you don't use it, you lose it. I could seek out people to practice with, but none of my close friends or family are fluent in Spanish. However, after our amazing honeymoon in France, (and listening to how many compliments my husband got on his French), I decided to make the commitment to French, for several reasons. First, I'll always have someone to practice with. I have free life-long French lessons in my very own home, if I want them. Secondly, I want our kids to be bilingual. I've been telling Michael this for a while, but I realize now that I should play a part in raising them this way. Plus, I don't want to feel left out by my husband and kids speaking a language that I don't know. Thirdly, we'd like to go back to France one day (and other French speaking countries), and I want to be able to speak for myself. I spoke a little while we were there, but I also had to rely on Michael a lot. So, here's to a new found resolution! Right now, I'm studying French using the Mango Language database. It's awesome. I have access to it through the library of the college where I work, and it is a great benefit of my job. I'm really enjoying it, and Michael always seems a little surprised and impressed when I hit him with a new word or phrase. I love how pleased he is at my progress. It's like a new thing that we share.

3. I read a book that changed my life: The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. I won't go in to all the details here, but I've already spoken with my close friends and family about it. I bought four more copies and gave them to my mom, two brothers, and my aunt/uncle. As a result of reading this book, I have increased the amount I give to international aid organizations, increased my letter writing to the children I sponsor, and started thinking more globally. PLEASE read this book if you care about those in poverty! If you are a Christian, you will gain a better understanding of how our faith should actually operate in the world, and if you are not - you will still learn a lot about "the hole in our world." One of the things that struck me most about this book was the realization that I am rich. I looked up my salary on www.globalrichlist.com and learned that I am in the top 3% of earners in the world. By American standards, I live a middle class existence, but compared to the rest of the world - I'm practically Jay-Z. Therefore, I do have a HUGE responsibility to help. It's not like I've never contributed - I have been a Compassion sponsor for over 10 years - it's just that I never realized how dire some situations are and how much of an impact my help can have on others who are struggling. I've done some, but I should, can, and will do much more to aid those in poverty - all over the globe. Seriously, this book changed my perspective and changed my life.

4. I discovered some YA books about the Holocaust that I absolutely adore: Once and Then by Morris Gleitzman. There is also a third book - Now - that I haven't been able to get my hands on yet. But, I will.

5. I feel like my faith in humanity has been restored a little. It sounds silly, but my wedding was surrounded by so much kindness and encouragement from so many people that I did lose some of my cynicism. Also, I was encouraged by some of the stories in the Hole in Our Gospel that illustrate how we really CAN make a difference. Our efforts on behalf of human decency are not useless - they do bear fruit. Sometimes we can't see it, but it's out there. And God can take the smallest effort or contribution and quadruple it like the fishes and loaves. Also, I read Number the Stars, which I think I read when I was very young (like elementary school) but didn't remember much about. But, I just finished it last night. It was very encouraging to read a story of the Danish Resistance during the Holocaust. As awful and depressing as the Holocaust was - as insurmountable as the German army must have seemed - there WERE people who still did the right thing - people who fought back, who protected their Jewish friends and family members, and who risked their own safety for the well-being of others. Even Hitler couldn't kill all of us who care and who believe in decency. Once again, all is not lost! We have to keep fighting. We can never give up. We can never let those who breed evil bully us in to silence. We must do what we can, and pray that God multiplies our little efforts. I learned from Richard Stearns that if every church-going Christian tithed their 10%, and the American church used a substantial amount of that money for overseas aid, we could pretty much eliminate extreme poverty from the face of the earth. So, do what you can. Pray, give, learn, write a letter. Do something, and remember that it DOES matter. It DOES make a difference. Our efforts will not return to us void. We are here to keep greed and cruelty in check, and if we don't - who will?

2 comments:

  1. I am not a believer, but strongly share your feelings about the poverty in this world we share. I have been giving about 15% of my income to selected groups to try and alleviate poverty and empower people. The issue which got me off my behind was realising that we flush our toilets with drinking water - and that lack of clean water kills thousands of people each year.
    I have climbed off my soap box now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE number the stars! i will have to check out hole in our gospel. sounds like something dave and i will both like. SO happy for you with the happiness and love surrounding your wedding! all we need is love!

    ReplyDelete