"I'm tired of waiting. I'm tired of thinking.
I want to turn loose my hold on everything,
and go sailing down, down,
just like one of those poor, tired leaves."

- O. Henry

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Lists

I got the idea for these lists from Trish over at trishisadish.blogspot.com. I'm filling in my own info.

Some of the oddest "compliments" I have received
1. Recently, one of my students from the Virgin Islands told me I could go places in the islands that other white tourists can't go because I look like a light skinned black girl! So, I guess I'm down with the locals enough to walk through the bad parts of town.

2. Not sure if these are "odd," but they sure were nice. My Foundations of the Info Professions instructor left this comment on one of my assignments this semester: "One of the best submissions of this assignment I have ever received. Great work! " My History of Reading instructor left this comment on one of my midterm essay questions: "Nice work here. On point all the way through. A."

3. Michael told me they should make a TV show called "Bleep Leah Says," in the vein of "Shit My Dad Says." (Michael doesn't curse). I guess he thinks I'm funny! :)

Things I cant stand right now (or in general):
1. "Look twice for motorcycles" stickers on cars. Motorcycles should have to look twice for me. Just because you choose to ride a two-wheel death machine doesn't mean I should have to complete extra tasks while driving.

2. A 40 hour work week. Don't you think life would be so much more balanced if we worked 25-30 hours a week? I think I'd be happier, and more productive at work (and home).

3. People who complain about Christmas. Take it somewhere else, Mr. Grinch!

Things I want right now:
1. An extended Christmas break. At least two weeks, like when I was teaching public school.

2. An interior decorator to help me finish the house! I have good taste but unifying design through a whole house is not in my skill-set. My attention span for artsy projects is limited to short bursts of inspiration that don't add up to my whole house being decorated.

3. A day at the movies. All day.

4. A pedicure.

5. A really great picture of myself. I don't have one.

Things I'm mildly obsessed with right now
1. Hitler/Nazis - Just trying to understand history so it doesn't repeat itself on my watch.

2. This Chicken Pesto Flatbread pizza that I make. It's a Pampered Chef recipe that is simply delicious! My amazing Pumpkin Bread would also fall in to this category of mild food obsessions...

3. Golden Globe nominations, and more importantly OSCAR predictions!

4. The Gaslight Anthem. I've been obsessed with them for a few years now, but I've especially enjoyed rocking out to them in my car the last few weeks. Those moments before work, on my lunch break, and on the way home help me to get through the day.

5. My Amazon.com Wish List. I love browsing books and adding them to my list! Right now there are 79 books I've listed as books I want to read.

6. Young Adult Literature. Reading and recommending young adult books was one of my favorite parts of teaching high school. I still quite enjoy reading books written for middle schoolers and teens. I'm really looking forward to taking Info Needs of Young Adults next semester. I totally relished ordering my textbooks for this class - 1 textbook and 5 y.a. novels.

7. Day-dreaming of winning the lottery and planning what I'd do with the money.

8. CHRISTMAS!!!!! I love the hymns and carols, trees and lights, presents and wrapping paper, and of course, Baby Jesus!


A few of my favorite recent memories:
1. Even though FSU lost, I enjoyed attending the homecoming game this year. My mom, my little brother Kyle, my fiance Michael, and I went to Tallahassee and participated in all the Seminole festivities. Go Noles!

2. Saturday night Michael and I finished decorating the Christmas tree, made and ate the aforementioned Chicken Pesto Flatbread Pizza, and watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It was a wonderful evening full of my favorite things: Michael, Christmas, food, and movies. Oh yeah, and there was eggnog!

3. Yesterday, my good friend Elissa (greenmoonrising.blogspot.com) had a snow day. Which means I got to talk to my friend (on the phone) all during my lunch break! I love it when Elissa doesn't have to go to work. I'm sure she enjoys snow days too!

*********************
That's all for now, folks! What's on your list?

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you did this too!!!
    And let me just say I HATE those "Look twice" bumper stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post!


    You're right, I love snow days. BTW, I had one today and another tomorrow! Call me!

    ReplyDelete