In an attempt to address my confusion, I searched "psychology of Hitler." What I found is a 1943 government document written by a Harvard psychologist, Dr. Henry Murray. The report is several hundred pages long, and analyzes Hitler's family background/life experiences and how these contributed to the make up of his psychology and personality. Dr. Murray examines Hitler's reign, advises the Allies on the most effective courses of action for dealing with Hitler, and even predicts Hitler's suicide. The report is located on the Cornell University Library website at this address: http://library.lawschool.cornell.edu/WhatWeHave/SpecialCollections/Donovan/Hitler/Hitler-TOC.cfm
In doing some more reading about Dr. Murray, I learned that one of his theories about personality states that an individual's personality is composed of 27 distinct "psychogenic needs." The exaggeration of some needs over others is what makes a personality unique. When certain needs are extreme (as in the case of Hitler's needs for aggression/dominance), trouble unfolds. Ideally (I guess) the 27 needs would be, for the most part, in balance.
The 27 needs are:
1. Abasement - the need to surrender and accept punishment
2. Achievement - the need to overcome obstacles and succeed
3. Acquisition - the need to obtain possessions
4. Affiliation - the need to make associations/friendships
5. Aggression - the need to injure others
6. Autonomy - the need to resist others and stand strong
7. Blame Avoidance - the need to avoid blame and obey the rules
8. Construction - the need to build or create
9. Contrariance - the need to be unique
10. Counteraction - the need to defend honor
11. Defendance - the need to justify actions
12. Deference - the need to follow a superior, to serve
13. Dominance (Power) - the need to control and lead others
14. Exhibition - the need to attract attention
15. Exposition - the need to provide information, to educate
16. Harm Avoidance - the need to avoid pain
17. Infavoidance - the need to avoid failure or shame; the need to control a weakness
18. Nurturance - the need to protect the helpless
19. Order - the need to arrange, organize, and be precise
20. Play - the need to relieve tension, have fun, or relax
21. Recognition - the need to gain approval and social status
22. Rejection - the need to exclude another
23. Sentience - the need to enjoy sensuous impressions
24. Sex - the need to form and enjoy an erotic relationship
25. Similance - the need to empathize
26. Succorance - the need to seek protection or sympathy
27. Understanding - the need to analyze and experience; the need to seek knowledge
I am not a psychologist or social worker and have no formal training in this field. But, I am an educated, reflective person. And, this really got me thinking. Which needs are the primary drivers of my personality? Which needs are minuscule parts of my make up? Which needs are being met? Which needs are not being met? What can I do to meet these needs, take better care of myself, and become a more balanced person? Will this balance make me happier?
After some examination, I would say that these needs play the biggest role in my psychological make up:
2. Achievement
4. Affiliation
6. Autonomy
15. Exposition
18. Nuturance
21. Recognition
25. Similance
27. Understanding
Achievement - I've earned degrees and have a professional job. These things satisfy me. There are always more goals on the horizon - evidence of this achievement drive.
Affiliation - My closest affiliation is obviously Michael. He does a great bit to satisfy this need. I do wish my family and close friends lived nearer to me. And I wish I could meet more people of value in my area. I've only lived here a year though, so I'm hoping it will come with time. I suppose I could get more involved in my church or in my job.
Autonomy - This could be considered stubborn or defiant, but I see it as being independent. I am definitely independent. I don't want anyone to be the boss of me. Conversely, I have little desire to be the boss (or leader) of others. I just want to do my own thing.
Exposition - I have a strong need to communicate. I've been told I'm a good teacher, and I know I'm a good writer. Though I consider myself creative, I identify my writing more with the need for exposition than construction. I do a significant amount of exposition in my job. I could probably write more.
Nuturance - This is also a strong part of my job. Not necessarily "protecting the helpless," but teachers impart knowledge to those who don't have it and in doing so nurture the student's intellect. Child sponsorship through Compassion International is another way I meet my need for nuturance.
Recognition - I have a strong need for recognition/acclaim/compliments/rewards/awards/etc. Perhaps one of the reasons I love school so much is it is the easiest, most readily available way for me to gain recognition. It's easy for me to make A's. So, I guess school satisfies both the recognition and the understanding needs. Outside of school, my need for recognition is NOT being met. Feel free to encourage me.
Similance - I love. I feel your pain. I empathize. Sometimes I think I could be happier if this need wasn't so strong. I hurt when others hurt. The news hurts me. Reading about the Holocaust hurts me. Hitler hurts me. I cry at St. Jude's Children's Hospital commercials. A lot hurts. I sometimes wish I could turn my empathy knob down a few notches. I wonder if this need is so strong that it is detrimental to me.
Understanding - The need to seek knowledge is a need that is easy for me to meet. I read, Google, take classes, watch informative television, go to the aquarium/zoo, etc. This is an extremely strong need of mine, and I do feel that the need is being met. (Though it will never be satiated - there is always more to learn!)
I also believe other needs play a moderate role in my psychological makeup, such as:
7. Blame Avoidance
8. Construction
9. Contrariance
17. Infavoidance
20. Play
23. Sentience
26. Succorance
I don't have the time or space to discuss the remaining of the 27 needs. I'm not even sure if this theory is still relevant in modern psychology, as it is rather old and could be outdated by now. But, I found it interesting and illuminating.
What are the needs that drive you? Are they so exaggerated as to be unhealthy? Do you need to encourage any of your less pronounced needs? (For instance, maybe you aren't an aggressive or domineering person and so you need to learn to stand up for yourself more.) How can an understanding of yourself based on this list of needs improve your life?
Just some food for thought....
No comments:
Post a Comment