"I'm tired of waiting. I'm tired of thinking.
I want to turn loose my hold on everything,
and go sailing down, down,
just like one of those poor, tired leaves."

- O. Henry

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mr. Rollins!

Today is Henry Rollins' 50th birthday! To celebrate, I'd like to share some of my favorite Rollins' moments.


Spoken Word


Big Ugly Mouth (1987) - Dehumanized on this album was a defining moment for me in high school: it pretty much encapsulated the way I saw the world. Boy on a train is really great as well.


Human Butt (1992) - Adventures of an Asshole and Donate your bodies to science, you fools are hilarious; Decoration is profound. Another album that enabled me to cope with the terrors of high school.


The Boxed Life (1993) - Hating Someone's Guts pts. 1&2, Funny Guy, and Strength pts 1&2 were all listened to repeatedly in my high school years for their humour and insight.


Eric the Pilot (1999) - If you want a light, funny intro to Rollins, Eric the Pilot is a great place to start. Not the most hardcore or insightful, but it's a damn funny story!


Live at the Westbeth Theater (2004)- The Undoing of a Man is a comical reflection on the perils of "growing up."


Talk is Cheap Vol. 3 (2006) - Disc one is great for anyone who felt like America barely survived George W. Bush's presidency. I really relate to Your Anger Manager.

Music


The End of Silence - Low Self Opinion, Grip, and What Do You Do are probably my favorite songs on this one. I used to listen to this on tape!


Weight - Alien Blueprint is a sort of anthem of mine.

Books


One From None - I used to steal my brother's copy of One From None every chance I got in high school. "I believe that one defines oneself by reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself." So great.


Do I Come Here Often? - I can't pin down one quote or reason why I liked this book so much, I just really, really liked it.



Smile, You're Traveling - Rollins offers an interesting reflection on Jesus in this book.
-----------------------

I hope this informal guide to the life and times of Henry Rollins inspires some of you to check out his work!

Happy Birthday, Henry, and THANKS for everything. I seriously don't know where I'd be without you.

2 comments:

  1. Such a nice tribute!

    I love that quote from One From None.

    Don't you ever forget that time we drove to KY to see him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    And, how could I forget that? That was so fun!

    ReplyDelete