Please read this news story.
Is that not the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard? Why would this lady get suspended and/or lose her job? Venting is one of the main purposes of a personal blog. She has a right to say what she wants without fear of reprisal - unless what she is saying breaks the law. I have not read the post (which has been taken down), but the news article states that she did not identify herself, her school district, her school, or any of her students by name. As long as her blog post did not contain any FERPA violations, I don't see what the big deal is. If she did, in fact, violate educational privacy laws, then (and only then) should she be reprimanded. If legal violations come to light, I may change my tune. However, at this point, it doesn't appear that she violated any laws. She was simply speaking her mind. God forbid anyone ever do that in the "land of the free!"
As a former high school teacher, I can attest to the fact that the contents of her blog post reflect a conversation that takes place daily in teachers' lounges and faculty meetings all across America. She is not saying anything new or feeling something that is unique to her. Her experience is part and parcel of being a teacher. People should accept that. Just as kids and parents complain about each other, students and teachers complain as well. Why is that surprising or newsworthy at all? People (not just teachers) talk and write about their lives and jobs. What is the big deal?
I also come from a family of teachers. I know from experience that the brokenness of the educational system and frustration with unruly students are the main things teachers talk about when they get together, even at family dinners and friendly outings. Teachers are passionate about education, and they're going to talk about their experiences in the classroom with their students. Some of those experiences are going to be positive, but some are also going to be negative. I am sure all of you out there have things you like and don't like about your job. Except, most likely, you don't have to deal with 120 teenagers day in and day out. You can't even imagine how hard teaching is if you haven't done it. I know that I was totally clueless before I was a full-time teacher.
This particular Pennsylvania teacher is not guilty of anything but speaking the truth. Many teens are lazy and exhibit a sense of entitlement. (I personally think what she is saying is the truth; at the very least, we can say it is the "truth as she sees it.") Isn't free speech one of the benefits of being an American? Where did the storm troopers come from? It's not like she wrote that she planned to kill her students or become sexually involved with them. She didn't break any laws, that I can tell. Maybe some would say her post was in poor taste, but as a free human being she has the right to be tacky if she wishes. It's her choice. Acting in poor taste isn't against the law.
This is not the first time I've heard of someone being fired or disciplined over a blog or a Facebook profile. But this one bothers me more. It seems like such an over-reaction considering it was a general rant that didn't identify individuals.
I honestly wonder if we will even have any teachers left in 30 years. Is it not bad enough that teachers work for almost nothing, never get raises, are given none of the resources they need to perform their job, are asked to compensate for shitty parenting, and even sometimes have to risk their lives just to go to work? Are we now sending the message that not only do teachers have to struggle with all these challenges, but that they can't even write to process their feelings about these challenges? Hello, WRITING IS A HEALTHY WAY OF DEALING WITH FRUSTRATION!
I am sure this teacher, more than anything else, wants to have a positive impact on the lives of her students. If she didn't care, she wouldn't be frustrated. If venting every once in a while enables her to go into the classroom better able to serve the community, then I say go for it. Because not many people can handle the pressures and stresses of that job. Sure, this teacher could have written her vent in a private journal instead of in a blog, but again, that is her choice and she has a right to make the choices she wants to make. Teaching is an honorable but terribly difficult, thankless job. Everyone copes with the stress of it in his/her own way. This woman has a blog. Stop the presses! Free speech is happening!
Those of her students who behave, work hard, and care about their education will know that her comments were not directed at them. They can also probably attest to the truth that many of their classmates are lazy and disrespectful. I know that my students often made comments to me to the effect of, "I don't know how you put up with us every day! I'd kill some of these kids if I was you!" (not literally kill, but in the joking way - just wanted to clarify since it seems you have to be so careful what you blog these days!).
The students who feel insulted by these comments are most likely the guilty parties. The best way for them to get revenge is to step up their game as students and prove her wrong. Go read a book, junior. Make an "A" on a test, for crying out loud. Show your teacher that you are more than she pegged you to be. Trust me, she will LOVE finding out that she was mistaken about you.
Please do not be quick to judge this teacher (or me, for defending her). If you've been in her shoes, you've felt her frustration. If you've never taught, you may imagine that every day is like Freedom Writers or Dead Poets Society, but it's not. I only lasted 2.67 years in the classroom. How long would you last?
At the end of the day, this is still America. You have a right to agree or disagree with her (or me) and voice your opinions as loudly as you wish. This is only my opinion at the moment, based on the information I have. But, this has just really bummed me out.
Shouldn't we all be celebrating freedom of speech instead of witch-hunting teachers?
For me, you nailed it with, "Maybe some would say her post was in poor taste, but as a free human being she has the right to be tacky if she wishes. It's her choice. Acting in poor taste isn't against the law."
ReplyDeleteNot to mention, who says it has to be true? TONS of people write fictional blogs or embellished blogs. Like you said, there were no identifiers.
I wonder how the students even found out?
Oh yeah, not to mention these constantly higher standards that teachers are allegedly supposed to live by!
ReplyDeleteExactly, Elissa! Teachers are being held more accountable, yet they are given less resources. Students and parents should be held accountable too!
ReplyDeleteMan, I think I should not have ended my sentence with "by"! :-)
ReplyDeleteIt shows my age, but I can remember when we respected teachers. And it interests (disgusts) me that here in Ozstralia teachers, nurses, police are all badly paid and badly treated. Aaargh
ReplyDeleteSome very good points. I do wonder if there will be any teachers left in 30 years. I myself am a recent grad who left America to teach abroad. I still plan to go back and teach American high schoolers, but I have been enjoying the different cultural standards teachers are held to in Korea.
ReplyDeleteI saw the blog before it was taken down... She had her first name, photograph, and location on there (which was just foolish, as it enabled students and parents to find it) - once parents found it, they began complaining to the school. Pretty much any job in the US will fire you if you make public comments on the internet which disparage and degrade your clients and/or your company. I agreed with the teacher's sentiments (I have felt the same at times about a lot of my students!), but her use of name/photo/location showed rather a lack of common sense.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info, Jane! And to think - if only she'd taken that little bit of personal info off there, she could have enjoyed venting forever! It's a shame we have to police ourselves so heavily to make a living.
ReplyDeleteI actually find the students and parents complaints sort of humorous, as they seem to be whining (in part) about being called whiners. A certain Alanis Morisette song comes to mind. :)
This really shows the power of the written word. Teachers say that kind of stuff all the time, day in and day out. But by putting it in writing and putting it out in the universe things suddenly get more serious.
I can agree that maybe she lacked a little common sense or suffered from a lapse of judgement. She wasn't very good at "not getting caught." But, I stll ultimately think this is no big deal and people need to calm the hell down about it!
Doesn't Bill Cosby go on tours and say this sort of stuff all the time? I guess he pisses people off, too...