I've made a list of movies that I have heard Oscar buzz around - movies/performances that have been honored at film festivals or received Golden Globe nominations. Ideally, I'd like to see all of these movies before the Oscar awards show on February 27th. I doubt that will happen with my schedule, but I'm going to try to watch as many as I can before then!! I'm going to keep track of my list, with a few comments (not full movie reviews), here.
1.
Black Swan - This is Natalie Portman's year. I also think the lady who played her mom should get a Best Supporting Actress nom. I don't think Mila Kunis did anything all that special. Great movie, but not the easiest to watch, and I don't think I'll ever see it again. But I'm glad I saw it once.
2. The Fighter - This was such a beautiful movie. It gets my vote for Best Picture, no matter how much of a long shot that may be. Christian Bale was mesmerizing. There is no other word for it. Melissa Leo and Amy Adams gave solid performances. And Mark Wahlberg actually surprised me.Mark Wahlberg and I have had a tumultuous relationship. It's taken a long time for me to stop seeing him as Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. But, over the years he has very slowly won me over. I was bitter when Mark got nominated for an Oscar for the Departed, because I thought Matt Damon should have gotten that Best Supporting Actor nomination. Yet, I liked Shooter and Mark started to grow on me. Mark wooed me further when he played an obsessed father in the movie version of one of my favorite novels, the Lovely Bones. We made real progress in our relationship when Mark made me laugh in The Other Guys. Now, he's made me cry in The Fighter. And here I am, on January 18, 2011, officially a Mark Wahlberg fan. I never thought I'd say that.It was really interesting to watch Mark play such an understated character in The Fighter. His character was timid; He had to both fade to the background and be the star of the movie at the same time. I was impressed. Mark and I are moving forward.I can't say enough about how much I loved The Fighter. It's a movie about some of the central tensions of life: How the people who know you the best aren't necessarily the people who know how to love you the best; About the struggle to maintain your roots yet rise above your circumstances; Needing someone to guide you to find your own way in life; Having enough humility to endure failure and enough ego to be a champion. I loved it all. For me, The Fighter was the most moving film of 2010. Please do yourself a favor and go see it.3.
Inception - I loved this movie. I think it will get a Best Picture nomination - not sure that it will win though. I always enjoy Leonardo DiCaprio. I can't believe he hasn't won an Oscar yet. That's simply crazy.
4, The King's Speech
5.
The Social Network - I saw it. I thought it was interesting to learn the history of something I use every day. But it didn't really move me, stick with me, or blow my mind in any way. It was a good movie, and will probably get a Best Picture nomination. But I don't think it should win. That Jesse Eisenberg will probably get nominated too. Let's just hope, for Oscar's sake, that Justin Timberlake doesn't get nominated. C'est La Vie!
6. Frankie & Alice
7. Rabbit Hole
8. Blue Valentine
9. 127 Hours
10. The Kids are Alright
11.
The Tourist - This movie has no place at the Oscars. It was super lame. And I say that as a fan of both Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. This movie fell flat.
12. Love & Other Drugs
13.
The Town - I really enjoyed this move, but aside from a Best Supporting Actor nomination for Jeremy Renner, I don't think it will get much play at the Oscars.
14. Somewhere
15. Biutiful
16. Never Let Me Go
17.
True Grit - It was such a joy and a pleasure to watch this movie. I'm guessing it will receive nominations for Best Picture, Jeff Bridges, Hailee Steinfeld, and the Coen brothers.
18.
Winter's Bone - NEVER go to the Ozarks! Never! (It wasn't bad at all, but I wouldn't nominate this for anything. But, that's just my personal opinion.)
19. Country Strong
20. Hereafter
I want to see True Grit... thats pretty much the only movie I'm excited about. Howeevr I am excited for the Oscars (and I never watch them) because James Franco is hosting.
ReplyDeleteI will be sure to check back for more reviews of the other movies to see if there are any that are "Trish friendly"
True Grit was awesome! The Golden Globes are coming up soon as well (those are Movies AND TV though).
ReplyDeleteThe King's Speech, the Fighter, and Country Strong are my next priorities for the movie theater; The Kids Are Alright is next in my Netflix queue.
I rented the Kids are Alright. It was...interesting. Maybe a tad too much sex for my personal liking.
ReplyDeleteMarky Mark won me over awhile ago, but I still call him Marky Mark and often don't even realize it. :-)
ReplyDeleteElissa is feeling those Good Vibrations!!!
ReplyDelete