"I'm tired of waiting. I'm tired of thinking.
I want to turn loose my hold on everything,
and go sailing down, down,
just like one of those poor, tired leaves."

- O. Henry

Thursday, January 13, 2011

I can do anything good!

I recently found this video on Youtube: Jessica's Daily Affirmation.

A few times in the video she says, "I can do anything good." I think what she probably means is, "I can do anything well." (She's 4 so I won't hold her grammar against her). She's saying that she can be good at anything. However, the way she says it made me feel like I can do anything good. As in, anything that is a good thing to do, I can (and should) do. I should pursue anything that is holy, worthwhile, loving, charitable, etc. It reminded me of Philippians 4:8.

I love the spirit of this video. Sure, Jessica is a little girl hamming it up a bit for the camera, but she really does seem like she loves her life. She feels like she can accomplish anything. We should all inject a little dose of Jessica in to our lives. And in light of that, here are my new year's resolutions:


1. Get married & go to Paris! (July 2011) (Update - We booked our room at a chic bed & breakfast for 7 nights!)
2. Lose 40 pounds (I may not lose it all before the wedding, but I want to lose it regardless.)
3. Try indoor rock climbing. I've always wanted to do this, and a recent post by Trish reminded me of it.
4. Complete 12 credit hours in the MLIS program. With my 6 hours from Fall, this will put me 1/2 way through the degree by the end of the year.
5. Write and submit my work for publication. Journal, blog. Articles, books. Something! I want to try and publish some of the book reviews and literary criticisms I've written in school (and of course my Master's thesis from Belmont). The articles and reviews can be published online or in print. I want to hold my thesis in my hand as a book one day. This may take several years of shopping it around to get it published, but I'm resolving to at least try in 2011.


I'm keeping my list of resolutions to five, in order to set myself up for success.

Happy 2011!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! I am so excited about your upcoming wedding (and that bed & breakfast is lovely) and all of the other things on your to do list. If you are ever in the Gainesville area there is a wonderful indoor rock gym I would recommend. And of course if you want a rock climbing buddy I'm obviously available!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Totally admirable resolutions! You can do it AND you can do anything good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!!! I've lost about 5 pounds already!

    ReplyDelete