Service learning was a big part of my undergrad experience at Florida State, and it appears FSU is still at it. One of the assignments in my Info Needs of Young Adults class is to create a bibliography (list) of books for specific families who benefit from Warrick Dunn's Family Foundation. The Foundation works with Habitat for Humanity to build houses for single parent families. Part of the budget for each house includes $1,000 to create a library for the kids and teens in each family. (How amazing is that?!) Anyway, doctoral students from FSU have interviewed the teens in these houses about their needs and interests, and our job as Library students is to recommend books we think would meet the teens' needs! So, we create bibliographies and turn them in to our instructor for a grade, but the fun doesn't stop there! Those bibliographies are then given to the Foundation, and the Foundation reviews our recommendations, purchases selected books, and places them in these homes!! Honestly, I'm so impressed with Warrick Dunn and Florida State!!! And I'm privileged and excited to be a part of this process.
The ceiling fans we bought for our house have remote controls. I can not describe the luxurious joy of laying in bed and turning the light/fan on and off.
My friend's Etsy shop: ArcheryGoods.
Having tickets to see the Get Up Kids in February at the State Theater. I love them and they are so good live. I hope they haven't changed much in the last 5 years. It's been a while since I've been current with them. I love Red Letter Day, Something to Write Home About, and On a Wire.
Planning my engagement photos with Jen Smith.Eggo NutriGrain Blueberry waffles for breakfast. They're low calorie and surprisingly filling.

And my staycation which will take place between February 7th and 11th. I'm going to get a pedicure, have a movie marathon, go thrift store shopping, have lunch with a friend I haven't seen in years, and probably take several naps and have ridiculously long phone calls with Elissa.
i love warrick dunn's foundation! how awesome to be a part of that!!! i would love to see your bibliography!
ReplyDeleteand on a side note, waffles sound great right now. we desperately need to go to the grocery store...
Warrick Dunn's Family Foundation is the most amazing thing I've heard about all day! I love the idea.
ReplyDeleteI need a staycation/vacation asap.
I cant wait for you engagement pictures!!!
God Bless Warrick Dunn! :) I think including a library as an essential part of a home shows a lot of insight on his part!
ReplyDeletei just saw this! thanks for the shoutie. haha :)
ReplyDeletewe LOVE those waffles around here. nola eats them every morning with her banana, and i steal more than my share of bites!
I really like all of your new favorite things.
ReplyDeleteOne of my new favorite things is the Save the Date for a certain someone that I got in the mail today!
I can't wait for our phone calls. BTW, don't forget to send me the dates for June!
xoxo
Yum, Jen!
ReplyDeleteand Thanks, Elissa!