"I'm tired of waiting. I'm tired of thinking.
I want to turn loose my hold on everything,
and go sailing down, down,
just like one of those poor, tired leaves."

- O. Henry

Monday, April 18, 2011

Wonderland

Some days I feel like Alice in Wonderland. Planet Earth is such a strange, bizarre place. Here are a few things that make me feel like either I am going crazy or the rest of the world is.


1) Hollywood casting of the "best friend."

You know those Hollywood romantic comedies where there is a pretty girl and her dorky best friend in competition with each other? Or those "ugly duckling" movies where the hot guy likes the nerdy girl and turns her into a beautiful princess?

Check out who has been cast as the dorky/ugly/nerdy girl:


Yep, that's Kate Winslet, Ginnifer Goodwin, Julia Roberts, Rachael Leigh Cook, Liv Tyler, and Anne Hathaway. 6 of probably the most beautiful women on earth. I don't care if you put them in big glasses and bad clothes, they're still beautiful. Guess what, Hollywood? There are actually fat and ugly people out there who can act. Why not cast them as the "ugly duckling"? If this shit isn't enough to give average looking people a complex, I don't know what is.

2) Being expected to be blindly happy for other people when they start dating someone, get married, or have a baby. The underlying issue here is that people don't think. It seems most other people are thrilled whenever anyone they know gets in a relationship or has a child, without ever stopping to consider if the relationship is a healthy one or if the person/couple can actually meet the needs of a kid. Guess what? If your new boyfriend is a total dick, I'm not happy for you. If you're still in high school and having a baby, I'm not happy for you. People should think before they do things, and people should also think before they congratulate, celebrate, and encourage the stupidity of others.



3). Politics in general. It's not even worth going in to. My basic opinion is that if people were kind to each other and made sure their family, friends, and neighbors were taken care of, 70% of the country's problems would be solved. Of course, we need a government for things like maintaining a standing army, but I personally believe that individuals could (if they so wished) handle education, social assistance, and even to some degree foreign aid. I'm not anti-government or anti-taxes. I like driving on paved roads and using my library card. But, if all parents loved their children, read to their children, and taught their children to help others locally and globally, we'd be pretty close to solutions on our own. I guess I'm just reiterating the golden rule. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?



4) Militant atheists. Okay, we get it. You don't believe in God. So why do you hate something so much you don't even believe in? Why must you so adamantly attack those who do believe? Do you realize you are just as guilty of zealotry and propaganda as the religious institutions you claim to abhor? People should be able to believe what they believe in (whether Christianity, Judaism, Islam, agnosticism, atheism, or anything else) without being attacked. I know, I'm an idealist.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with being an idealist. So long as it runs concurrently with a live and let live attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay this might be my fav blog post! I totally agree.
    Well said!


    Trish

    ReplyDelete